Ethical foundations of the left

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:57:36 PDT 2001

Posner is less naive and ideologically blinded than you suggest. In addition to being really really smart, he was raised by Commies, and is a sort of inverted Marxist. He has made fun of me for egalitarianism (called me a "jejune egalitarian," if you must know). He sees nothing wrong with great inequality. He is less indifferent to the plight of the poor than Epstein, but he thinks that people should be allowed to take advantage of their luck (or stuck with the consequences of their lack of it) in the market economy. He does think that a more or less unfettered market has the best consequences, but he is notoriously vague about his criterion for that. He used to believe--this was the basis for my saying what I did--that wealth maximization without regard to distribution was the social good. He defended this absurd proposition in a series of papers in the 1970s. In my book, that is enough to warrant my saying that he regards what is in the interests of the bosses to be good. He has retreated from this expression of the position. But I still think he retains the underlying "intuition." And Brad, I'll put my knowledge of his theoretical and legal writing up agin yours anyday. I'd let him be the judge (ha ha). --jks