Ethical foundations of the left

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Jul 25 18:19:13 PDT 2001

> Posner is less naive and ideologically blinded than you suggest. In
addition
> to being really really smart, he was raised by Commies, and is a sort of
> inverted Marxist.

Posner is brilliant, but don't pragmatists believe that the brilliant are as apt to be as blind to reason as the rest (not rhetorical)?

> He does think that a more or less unfettered market has the best
> consequences, but he is notoriously vague about his criterion for that. He
> used to believe--this was the basis for my saying what I did--that wealth
> maximization without regard to distribution was the social good. He
> defended this absurd proposition in a series of papers in the 1970s.

Yeah, I've read about that before. In fact, I speculated to my TA that perhaps his failure at that task has resulted in his current antipathy to moral argument.

-- Luke