Ethical foundations of the left

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Wed Jul 25 23:52:01 PDT 2001

G'day all,

>How far is it from Toronto to Winsdor?
>About 385km.
>That's prescientific knowledge, it is hypothetical in the sense that I
>haven't actually done the math and geography.
>It takes about 2 hours by car.
>That's prescientific knowledge too.
>
>Until we hire the tapemeasure brigade to sort out the distance... we're
>stuck with a guess.

That's some car you got there, Ken!

As it's a rare and beautiful thing, I feel bound to express my agreement with you in your chat with Justin.

Yeah, history is controversial, and, yeah, we deploy narratives to explain stuff. So? Nothing in Habermas says our discussions should be abstract, nothing says we shouldn't deploy narratives, or cite ideals or examples. Dunno why Justin thinks otherwise.

Do reckon there's a bit of a-priori in Habermas, though. But then, until just now, I thought there was a bit in Justin, too. I'd love Justin to explain his particular brand of pragmatism one day, as I seem to have a pretty good idea of what kind of pragmatist he's not, but very little as to what kind he is.

Cheers, Rob.