Ethical foundations of the left

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 26 19:56:18 PDT 2001

I dont "guess" that Ulan Bator is the capital of Mongolia. I learned it once by looking at a map as I recall. I remember what I learned. You are a strange person. Do you guess or have pre-scientific knowledge that Ottawa is the capital of Canada?

And you mean to say you have to take out a tape measure before you know the distance from Toronto to Windsor? Why wont an accurate road map do with those things at the side that tell you distance between major cities? Even saves you doing any math. If you really must have your tape measure to have discursive knowledge or scientific knowledge isnt there the problem of determining exactly where the border is of Windsor and Toronto, problems about Metro versus Toronto proper...what point u are imaginging you start at and end up with in each city.and on and on....Oh this is all so complicated it makes my head spin.....lol We will need to fund a summer project for student scientists to get discursive knowledge on this. Is this Habermas or Alice in Wonderland talking?

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Kenneth MacKendrick <kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 3:35 AM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left