Ethical foundations of the left

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Jul 29 14:24:29 PDT 2001

At 04:54 PM 7/29/01 -0400, Kelley wrote:
>At 12:01 PM 7/29/01 -0500, Ken Hanly wrote:
>>Well what it shows is that Habermas apparently has not studied logical
>>fallacies such as poisoning the wells. Any evidence against his theory is
>>rejected in advance since according to his theory it would exemplify the
>>very conditions his theory proclaims as necessary.

this is not what poisoning the well means. and, in fact, evidence is used to support his claims. the only way you can have concluded this is that you don't know what the ideal speech situation is. i didn't think i had to explain that one since those who have an opinion, except carrol, claim to have read H. what H is saying is that when you engage in argumentation you are, in fact, invoking the ideal speech situation. our arguments against him are evidence in support of his claims about the ISS. the evidence isn't rejected but shown to be supporting his theory.

sorry, justin, i refuse to type one iota more. it's like arguing with a commie hater who never read marx and descends on this list expecting everyone to defend themselves agaisnt his idiotic claims about how, say, marxists are just jealous of rich people and that marxists are statists.

blah.