Ethical foundations of the left

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 29 17:03:13 PDT 2001

Well some other ken at least agrees that there is a fallacy of begging the question: It may be that the other Ken is not talking about the same thing. This is all so wordy, abstract, and unclear that I am not sure I have a handle on what anyone is saying but a Google search on Habermas ISS brought this up. (from the lbo-archives)

However there is no certainty that Habermas here, or the sciences in general, have NOT imported aesthetic means (so to speak). Which means, Habermas cannot provide a justification of his formal pragmatic argument *unless* one already believes that such justifications are possible (hence, his question begging). In effect, the only people that will agree with Habermas are those that share his particular moral imaginary (and beg the question with him). In other words - a democratic ethos is the backdrop to his logically trivial observation about the presuppositions of language. They are only presuppositions for people who believe they are presuppositions. Remember, Habermas is deriving a universalist ethic from this position. My point is only this: as a universalist position, it fails. Yes, *I* agree that language can be used in such a way that we can reach an agreement about something, relatively justified ("strong hermeneutics" is a stupid term but one that has been used here) and normatively binding. But I already believe in the power of reason to sort through these things.

Also if arguing against Habermas means providing support for his position then it seems to me this does involve rejecting counter evidence in advance. Since it is presupposed that Habermas is right that there is a performative contradiction in arguing against him then of course it will follow that the counter arguiment itself supports his claim. The evidence, the counter argument supports his theory on the assumption his theory is true. So the well is poisoned via question begging.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>; <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>; <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2001 4:24 PM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left