Ethical foundations of the left

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 30 00:27:49 PDT 2001

Although I wrote that, and probably not that long ago, I can't stand by it today. Habermas does not think that a moral universal can be derived a priori, it has to be something that can actually be agreed upon (in practice), it is a retroactive justification, not a prescriptive one. Habermas point is that we cannot dismiss the possibility of universal agreement prior to actual discourse ('communication freeom from domination'). Of course, for this discourse to take place, formal conditions are necessary. This is only a trivial observation if such conditions currently exist. It is not a trivial position if communication is, presently, marred and distorted by power, labour practices, or money (among other things). I think the question of question begging still looms over Habermas's head, but I must admit, I haven't figured out a 'solid' way of demonstrating this. I've tried, but I haven't convinced myself or Habermasians... so back to coming up with better reasons and better arguments...

ken