carrol on distorted communicative action (was Re: Ethical foundationsof the left)

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sun Jul 29 14:55:31 PDT 2001

At 04:26 PM 7/29/01 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:

>I was out of town when this subject line appeared; I haven't done much
>back-reading in the archives because I don't for the life of me see why
>the left needs an ethical foundation -- that topic seems utterly
>pointless. (Perhaps ethics need a political foundation, but it is
>bizarre to fuss about an ethical foundation of the left.) As I said in
>the post I wrote a minute or two ago, I'm just visiting on this thread.
>Epistemology is sometimes entertaining, but crime fiction is better.
>
>Carrol

i understand that, sure. but i just wanted to show you a concrete example of what a claim regarding distorted communicative action looks like, because you made it. there are many more ways we could conceive of it.

sure, you might not care about ethical foundations. i don't think i do much either. but, you made a claim that was based on the fact that you didn't understand something. so, i hope you do now. and i hope you see that at least some of it has very much to do with what takes place on the left every single day: racism, sexism, ableism, and so forth, these are all evident in what gets counted and what gets dismissed as serious conversation and concerns for the left. these are all evident in terms of the composition of participants, in fact. while it may seem self-evident to you, it is obviously not self evident to everyone here because i'm guessing 80% of this list disagrees that it takes places or thinks that while racism may be an issue, sexism/ableism, is not an issue that the left need be concerned about.

kelley