carrol on distorted communicative action (was Re: Ethical foundationsof the left)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 29 14:26:00 PDT 2001

Kelley wrote:

> At 12:07 PM 7/29/01 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >One widespread characteristic of 20th-century thought, it seems to me,
> >is inventing non-problems over which to agonize. Let me suggest that the
> >totality of 20th-century concerns with "meaning," "communication," etc.
> >have been pointless.
> >
> >Carrol
>
> 20 lashes with a wet noodle carrol! :) you should stop worrying so much
> about non-problems and tell yosh too!
>
> carrol once wrote:
> Please read the entire subject line.

I was out of town when this subject line appeared; I haven't done much back-reading in the archives because I don't for the life of me see why the left needs an ethical foundation -- that topic seems utterly pointless. (Perhaps ethics need a political foundation, but it is bizarre to fuss about an ethical foundation of the left.) As I said in the post I wrote a minute or two ago, I'm just visiting on this thread. Epistemology is sometimes entertaining, but crime fiction is better.

Carrol