Ethical foundations of the left

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 30 00:31:19 PDT 2001

At 08:17 PM 7/29/01 -0500, you wrote:

>I forget where, possibly in a piece called "Interpretive Social Science
>vs Hermeneuticism", Habermas discusses the double hermeneutic, and I
>think in the same piece, unless I am blending two together, he relates
>it to Pierce's abduction or retroduction. Axel Honneth was the
>'outsider' on my diss defense. But it was one of those things where I
>didn't have much opportunity for an interchange with him, a little about
>technological determinism and instrumental rationality. sorry for the
>non sequiter.

The essay that you are talking about, which I have in my hand, can be found in Moral Consciousness and Communicative Action, under a different name. I know this because I photocopied it thinking it was a piece I didn't have a copy of, and was rather disappointed when it was identical to an essay I had just read.

non non sequiter, ken