Anti-Zionism Is Racism

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Sun Jul 29 23:56:28 PDT 2001

THE LAST SKY was the title of one of edward said's books, maybe the photos one? also, carrol's ref reminds me of the excellent:

PALESTINE AND MODERN ARAB POETRY Khalid A. Sulaiman Zed Press, 1984.

and, along with his reference in another post to Amilcar Cabral, whose work I also second, the sky reference, and the Zed mention, reminds of:

NO FIST IS BIG ENOUGH TO HIDE THE SKY: THE LIBERATION OF GUINEA AND CAPE VERDE Basil Davidson, Zed, 1984. (forward by Amilcar Cabral)

-----Original Message----- From: Carrol Cox [mailto:cbcox at ilstu.edu] Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 12:59 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Anti-Zionism Is Racism

"Forstater, Mathew" wrote:

> They herded us all into a spot where,
> without warning, a loudspeaker siren suddenly went off that scared the
> shit out of you. Then there was sound effects of gunfire and women and
> children screaming as the 'Arab' cutouts moved quickly in from the
field
> toward where we were standing.

Doesn't it remind you of the old "Cowboys and Indians" movies with the settlers defending themselves against the savages. I think Mahmud Darwish felt an echo:

The Earth is Closing on Us

The earth is closing on us, pushing us through the last passage, and

we tear our limbs to pass through. ............................ Where should we go after the last frontiers? Where should the birds

fly after the last sky?

>From _Victims of a Map: A Bilingual Anthology of Arabic Poetry__

Carrol