Ethical foundations of the left

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 30 09:10:36 PDT 2001

At 11:40 PM 7/28/01 -0500, you wrote:

> My understanding of W. is that he holds that when we claim we have a pain,
>we do not have criteria for saying it.

Habermas leaves a great amount of room for creative expression. It would be interesting to trace the history of the expression, "Ouch." However, I don't really see how this proves to challenge Habermas's theory. Language is reflexive, in the sense that it can be used to formulate and reformulate without every having to appeal to a meta-language to ground itself or its statements. Habermas sides with Gadamer on this point.

**Lacking criteria for "proper" expression, it seems to me, is an argument that actually confirms Habermas's view, that we presuppose proper expressions. We wouldn't think about criteria unless we already had an intuitive sense of criteria for expression.

ken