Ethical foundations of the left

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 30 15:39:50 PDT 2001

I didnt mean my remark as a criticism of Habermas but as an explanation of why W. does not think that we can know that we are in pain. If we knew that we were in pain we it would be on the basis of some criteria. If you make a knowledge claim you can be rightfully asked. How do you know? But it is surely weird to ask someone in pain how they know they are in pain. Well uh..I am screaming...and holding my gut..I must be in pain...lol...

But as I pointed out I do not agree with W. on this. It makes perfectly good sense to say one knows that one is in pain since to say that one is in pain has a performative function of giving ones word. You aren't feigning pain, putting on an act..etc.

Cheers, Ken Hanly..

P.S. I have no idea what you are talking about.. As far as understanding what Habermas is about I am probably much more cognitvely impaired than Justin. I sympathize with Searle's not continuing to read him, although I did read quite a bit a decade ago when I was on a committee that surpervised an honor's undergrad thesis in sociology. I would have passed the student just on the basis of his having plowed through and summarised a huge amount of material by Habermas! There do seem to be some interesting ideas in Habermas but they are so abstract and I have so many specific objections to everything that I read I gave up. Life is just too short. But Habermas is clearer to me than Derrida, Foucault, Lacan and others..They are simply beyond the pale as far as I am concerned. I would sooner listen to Lawrence Welk than subject myself to that sort of abuse and I detest Lawrence Welk, but at least I know what he is about. This is not to imply that there may not be some significant ideas put forth by these writers. Foucault has interesting things to say about madness for example. Some secondary sources make some sense to me. It just boggles miy mind how some people on this list write. I grew up in the analytic tradition of Moore, Austin, Ayer, Warnock, Wittgenstein, and the like so there is just a huge cultural shock involved in trying to make any sense out of authors such as Habermas. and worse Foucault or Derrida. You might say that there are presuppositions of intelligent communication but these authors somehow manage to violate them continually including Habermas!

. Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Kenneth MacKendrick <kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 11:10 AM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left