A Brief Note, Re: Ethical foundations of the left

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 30 17:22:27 PDT 2001

At 04:24 PM 7/30/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Kenneth macKendrick wrote:
>
> >Language is inherent to cognitive development. This is irrefutable.
> >Linguistic interaction constitutes the medium of our capacity to
> >understanding. This is irrefutable.
>
>Aren't you here claiming that a person, born profoundly deaf into a
>non-literate village or hunting-gathering community, is permanently
>incapable of cognitive development?

By language Habermas means any and all kinds of symbolic exchanges between human beings: which includes verbal and nonverbal forms of expression / communication. Anything with 'grammar' can be considered 'linguistic' in the broadest possible sense of the term.

ken, untrue to my own declared intentions