Ethical foundations of the left

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 31 13:36:20 PDT 2001

>So you think that Habermas's approach is too busy worrying about how to
>convince the ruling classes, who don't want to be convinced but who will
>just erect more and more barriers to any seepage of corrective ideas into
>their realm? That is a thought that I've had myself. Then came the
>thought, "Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people."

Sort of, but not quite. The justification problem requires, as I take it, that we be able to produce an argument that shows that those who reject our ethics are wrong. I don't think it is possible to answer the moral skeptic generally, any more than to respond to the Cartesian doubter about ordinary knowledge, but there are few of any real moral skeptics. The reply should be addressed to people who can raise substantive grounds for doubt based on their own moral perspectives. That is why the issue is choice between competing conceptions of justice and freedom--in my schematization, between the justice of domonation and of emancipation. And the reply in favor of emancipation should not beg the question against domination. It should proceed from premises the doubters abour emancipation accept.

However, the true social theory (historical materialism, but a very weak version) tells us that such a reply will not motivate the defenders of domination, at least the ruling classes whose interests are promoted by domination. This ensures that any justification that does not provide some motivational basis for a transformation of social life to emancipation by someone--not neceassrily the ruling class--will beg the question. Without such a basis, we just have a faceoff of competing, self-enclosed perspectives based on present interests.

However, with such a basis, we can say that a transition to emancipation is possible, because someone (the subordinate classes) is motivated to undertake it, and the views of the ruling classes are wrong on their own terms, although they will not be motivated by this. The last clause gives us a justification for the transition in the first clause; the first clause addresses the "ought implies can" problem that started me on this inquiry.

Habermas' account seems to me to address neither problem. By putting us in the ideal speech situatiuon, it begs the question against the domination of the ruling classes; by abstracting from the question of motivation, it fails to address the issue of transition. So it is doubly defective.

--jks