Ethical foundations of the left

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 31 21:59:06 PDT 2001

At 06:24 PM 7/31/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Some dominators do desert their class, but not because anyone
>has faced them with superior reasons.

Yeah, right. The people who bailed had reason, why do you think they bailed?

I'm left with the impression that authority is headless... you know, the dominators having no reason and all. No wonder social criticism isn't persuasive. If I was in a position of tremendous power I'd love it if people thought I couldn't think. It would make it oh so much easier.

> > > The problem is this: if instrumental reason is 'the whole' - then
>
>"Instrumental reason" is an abstraction that does not help understand or
>perceive anything. I doubt that it exists.

Well, you certainly won't be of much use to an employer will you? Try designing a house without making a single calculation.

I once read an article that maintained that abstraction was the root of all evil. It made me laugh. It was intended as a theoretical article.

>I agree that horses are irreducible to centaurs or unicorns. I don't
>agree that any examinable entity named by "reason" exists.

Damn Carrol, can I use the word cognition instead? How about learning processes? Send me a copy of your language, I'll get back to you using the proper jargon.

> In so far as
>it is an attribute of human thinking, it must be studied by
>neuroscience, not sociology, epistemology, or political theory.

Yeah, because the disciplinary boundaries aren't historical accidents, right? Disciplines were established by fist fights and grumbling administrators trying to push their career up a knotch. And now we're supposed to stick to them?

In any event, you don't believe in instrumental reason, so I'm left wonder exactly what neuroscientists are supposed to do in their non-abstracting, non-calculating, non-teleological, non-purposive, non-communicative, non-technical, non-practical environment.

> In so
>far as it is not an aspect of the human organism, then it is a social
>relation. This whole discourse journeys further and further from any
>conceivable historical reality.

Nice ahistorical split between culture and nature there, buddy.

ken