patriarchy redux?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jun 4 11:28:49 PDT 2001

>From: Michael Pollak (mpollak at panix.com)
>Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 00:28:54 EDT

>> > Freud makes a lot more sense when you realize he was describing a world
>> > just like that. Acting out your feelings towards your parents big time.
>> > And then stuck in that rut forever.
>> >
>> Actually young bourgeois men had sex with women of other classes before
>> marriage to women of their own class who were sexually inexperienced.
>
>Sex, yes. But relationships, mainly no, precisely because of the class
>factor you mentioned. And that's key for the acting out part. It was in
>fact a common affliction among Freud's male patients that they could make
>it fine with a prostitute or serving girl, but respectable women reminded
>them of their mothers. So as far as the psycho-drama was concerned, the
>boys were mostly still virgins too when they got married. And still
>mostly completely ignorant where it counted.
>
>Michael

>Michael Pollak................New York City..............mpollak at panix.com

While sexism continues to plague us, at least we've left Freud's Vienna behind. Kubrick's _Eyes Wide Shut_ tanked, probably because the sexual hang-up of the petit-bourgeois man in the world of Arthur Schnitzler didn't strike many as compelling.

Today's post-nuclear sexual fantasy revolves around homophobia & pedophilia -- hence the popularity of _American Beauty_ for instance.

Yoshie