Something you're not likely to see from me again soon

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Jun 4 12:50:10 PDT 2001

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 23:27:14 +0800 Jacob Segal <jpsegal at rcn.com> writes:
> on 6/4/01 10:52 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski at sokol at jhu.edu wrote:
>
> > At 12:01 PM 6/3/01 -0400, Gordon wrote:
> >> So maybe Heidegger should be considered as a poet _rather_than_ a
> > philosopher.
> >> But in that case, Rilke would be the reason to learn German.
> >

> > What?s the difference? Aren't these two but exercises in
> imagination
> > unencumbered by experience? The main diffrence seems to be that
> philosphy
> > is the refuge for those who cannot write good poetry.
> >
> > wojtek
> >

> Didn't Heidegger himself say that all philosophers are failed
> poets?

And Rudolf Carnap sometimes suggested that metaphysics was perhaps best understood as a species of poetry since in his view metaphysical statements were cognitvely meaningless but which could have emotive or evocative meanings.

Jim F.

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.