ritalin

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jun 5 09:45:48 PDT 2001

At 01:39 AM 6/5/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Having spent most of my adult life in child abuse work of one sort or
another, I
>am completely convinced that physical punishment of children is unalloyedly
>destructive as a social phenomenon, even when one can point to instances
where
>it did not harm. To legitimate it is to legitimate the conditions which make
>abuse possible, with many reverberating negative effects.
>
>Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema

Hmmm... does that mean that the entire humanity remained in the dark on that issue for millenia, and the truth about evil effects of physicial punishment was only discovered by a group of brave US hippies ca 1969?

My own thinking, admittedly based on old fashined analytical reasoning, goes as follows. Human behavior is a result of multiple factors as well as interaction among these factors. It takes a hell of the analytical work to attribute a particular outcome to a particular factor under particular circumstances. Thus, attributing violent or abusive behavior to a single factor of being physically punished (or "abused") as a child smacks of newage sorcery. It is so, because many socities excercised physical punishment butd did not experience the magnitude of delinquent and anti-social behavior observed in the US. So even if physical punishment is a contributing factor to that delinquency, an inquiring mind would like to know under what circumstances.

PS. There is a difference between physical punishment and abuse. Abuse does not have to physical, emotional abuse is more common and often more damaging to a person's self-esteem than good old fashioned whacking.

What is more, not every phsyical punishment is abuse. I was physically disciplined as a child and lived to tell about it. My sister was not and grew up to be socially challenged. I did not physically punsih my kid at all - but he was good kid anyway. That unscientific sample tells me that physical punishment alone does not mean a thing - it is the social context that matters.

wojtek