fantasy and political organization

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 16:11:43 PDT 2001

> Max Sawicky wrote:
>
> >What you call protectionism is self-defense.
> >"Internationalism" is the fantasy. That
> >everyone else is dreaming is your dream.
> >Hope they're sweet.

I confess to harboring resentments after being prematurely woken from sleep. I'm processing those character defects during some of these waking hours.

> There's no successful politics without a good
> fantasy, whether you're
> talking Bolshevism or Reaganism. So calling
> something a "fantasy"
> isn't terribly helpful.

One thing I also had in mind with my original post is how fantasy acts not only to mobilize politics, but also to organize and sustain relations of exploitation and oppression. To the extent that it does, there's no unsuccessful politics without a good fantasy.

Alec