fantasy and political organization

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 17:31:30 PDT 2001

> > Max Sawicky wrote:
> >
> > >What you call protectionism is self-defense.
> > >"Internationalism" is the fantasy. That
> > >everyone else is dreaming is your dream.
> > >Hope they're sweet.

What I call the lingering, in the sense of vestigial, "protectionism" of the labor movement is an example of a politically counter-productive ideology based in a fantasy. It's a fantasy not following from economic grievances, since it mobilizes racial and nationalistic anxieties--for the cause of "self-defense," in a way--which should, by the rationalization of your own logic, play no part in addressing strictly economic grievances.

Alec