BdL on BE

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jun 6 23:21:30 PDT 2001

>EITC: for years i've told brad that a lot of people don't know it exists.

Yep. A lot don't. But a lot do...

>>Various health programs,
>
>for children mainly as you note.
>

>i think it important to look at the lives of people who are poor and
>without children. we can almost always stir up support for helping
>people with children, but getting people to worry about the working
>poor who are single is another issue.

Lloyd Bentsen used to say that focusing on children was the only way he thought progress could be made--that the idea of the frontier and the self-reliant individual was just too strong in America for there to be a durable majority coalition that worried about the single working poor.

Brad DeLong