BdL on BE

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jun 7 04:04:13 PDT 2001

. . . This is precisely where BE (as far as I can tell), and myself, and perhaps the progressives Max is talking about split off from the Dems. The Dems want to win, so they will abandon the single working poor, and champion other measures I would vociferously oppose, in order to try to win the election. I'd rather take a principled stand and lose (at least initially) in an effort to try to either move the Dems left or create a legitimate progressive political movement. . . .

mbs: the Dems are weak on the poor, working, child-rearing, or otherwise. The exaltation of children is something that gets universal lip service but limited follow-up. The Dems don't really neglect anybody altogether. They 'target' by seeking little bits for everything imaginable. The over- arching problem, IMO, is failure to think big, take a principled intellectual stand rather than pander, and focus on class.

Question for Max: did this group merely criticize the kiddie-credit for not going far enough, or actually OPPOSE it on those grouds?

They didn't say it was bad, in and of itself. They thought it wasn't great politics, in comparison to other measures that had less substance but, in their view, greater political appeal.

mbs