fantasy and political organization

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Thu Jun 7 11:23:57 PDT 2001

> >I suspect only large "underdeveloped" countries could gain from
> >protectionism now (abstracting from all the external political
> >pressures - meaning from Washington and the IMF - that would make
> >them very hard to sustain). That would mean China, India, maybe
> >Brazil. But smaller than that, how can they do it? The internal
> >market would be too small, and the native technology base too thin.
> >Doug

A surprising answer from Zimbabwe. Obviously, key to a new round of ISI would be basic-needs production (not the standard luxury goods protection). The normally despicable United Nations Development Programme allowed local economists to write their February 2000 Human Development Report. The progressives amongst them (leading civil-society intellectuals associated with the Poverty Reduction Forum and Zimbabwe Institute of Development Studies) made six recommendations for government economic development policy--the last two of which are worth citing in full--which, believe it or not, were actually included as the report's conclusion:

1) Overall objective: restore confidence by

creating conditions of fulfillment of basic human

material and social needs, and by opening up

democratic space for dialogue in all sectors of

life...

2) The hitherto neglected responsibility of

ensuring conditions for the reproduction of

labour and ensuring a life of dignity must form

the core of the new strategy...

3) Better integration of gender concerns...

4) A well-focused land reform and agricultural

regulation policy framework are necessary...

5) Restore production and safeguard the

domestic market from external competition in

respect of essential commodities and services, as

a basic complement to fiscal and monetary tools.

Probably considered subsidies and tariff

protection might be necessary.

6) Carry out an audit of imports and introduce

measures to cut down all inessential imports and

luxury products. Carry out a similar audit of

debt, retire illegitimate debts, and negotiate with

the creditors for the payment of the legitimately

incurred debts on the principle of joint

responsibility. Put in place capital controls,

regulate the banking sector, and review financial

liberalisation measures to develop an

indigenously led banking sector. UNDP/PRF/IDS

(2000: 81)

The UNDP/PRF/IDS (2000: 83) report concludes by noting that such recommendations hark back to earlier periods of state intervention:

Zimbabwe has a way out as it moves into the

third decade of its Independence. It has a

rich dual heritage. One, ironically, is the

heritage left by the UDI regime that built

itself up on a largely internally-oriented

economy with minimal dependence on the

outside world. Its illegitimacy was the cause

of its demise. The second legacy is that of

Chimurenga (liberation war). That spirit is

still and often not properly channelled. The

people of Zimbabwe can, once again, assert

their primacy and with sober and deliberate

intervention in national matters bring back

the state and economy to serving first and

foremost the interests of the people based on

people's efforts and resources, and not one

based on foreign dependence.