Democrats and capital (was: Re: BdL on BE)

Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca
Fri Jun 8 05:28:18 PDT 2001

Wojtek said:

>I did not argue where the middle class resides ("burbs" were just a figure
<of speach). I argued that middle class is growing more numerous, and the <characteristic feature of that class is upper class identfication <(even if <imaginary) and fear of the lower class. That is a prescription for an <economically conservative politics (bust unions, cut taxes and public <programs) seasoned with social liberalism (choice of lifestyles and <freedom <of speech). These are the core values of the middle class - any <politician <who cannot see the writing on the wall is doomed to fail.

No, no Wojtek. My question was an "honest" one, not rhetorical. You seemed to have some idea about the Middle-Class; I tend to agree with your description from what I know about middle-class tendencies (although the anti-labour, low-taxes stuff could easily be generated by capitalists of all sizes). I wanted your thoughts on my question.

Todd