flapdoodle gains adherents

Peter Kosenko kosenko at netwood.net
Fri Jun 8 15:45:55 PDT 2001

I was trying to explain the concept of dimensionality to a new age woman acquaintance.

"For example, if subatomic physicists should discover (or hypothesize) that the universe has 'eight dimensions,' all that would mean is that eight fundamental factors would be involved in any equation used to describe phenomena. It would not mean that there were four mysterious 'rooms' that you could go into. Dimensionality is a mathematical concept. Four or eight dimensions, it would not affect the way that we experience the world. You're confusing the map for the territory."

She insisted that she was in touch with another nonpsychological "dimension" where invisible beings live.

Exasperated, I said, "Well, actually, the world has five dimensions: length, width, depth, time, and the empty space in your head."

Peter Kosenko

---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:24:43 -0400