Indian movies a hit with Pakistani kids

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 15:51:54 PDT 2001

Indian movies a hit with Pakistani kids By Indu Saksena

http://www.timesofindia.com/090601/09mchd2.htm

CHANDIGARH: One has to be with them for some time to understand that they find it disquieting to answer so many questions about India and Pakistan. Though that's not to say that they don't field the questions with elan and an element of maturity.

Yet, like all kids their age, these children from Pakistan who are here to participate in a theatre workshop being organised jointly by Ajoka Children's Theatre of Lahore and Besten Foundation (India), Mohali, it's the Indian cinema that constitutes a major part of their conversation.

The beaming faces lose some of their cheerfulness talking about the India-Pakistan conflict. "There is no difference in the two countries; when we all grow up we are going to make peace," says the oldest member of this delegation, 15-year-old Ayesha.

This group of 12 children who hail from Lahore and Islamabad, is accompanied by well-known Pakistani artist Madeeha Gauhar, co-founder of Ajoka Theatre of Lahore. Gauhar's play Dukhini won rave reviews in 2000.

Interestingly, the youngest artiste from Pakistan has an Indian name Nayantara and is just three years old.

"Indian Hindi movies are a hit in Pakistan; our movies are very bad copies of Indian movies. Our actors usually imitate Indian actors," they lament in chorus. "We had imagined that Bollywood actors and actresses would be freely roaming on Indian streets, but we can't see any here and that's a major disappointment. It's Hrithik's dancing that makes him score points with youngsters; to put it in 11-year-old Saman's words, "Roshan junior's dance is very stylish." There are still some die-hard Shah Rukh fans, though, and all thanks to his loony lover boy role in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Mind you, one reason they are extremely excited about their trip to Shimla after the workshop is the fact that the hill resort is the shooting venue for many Hindi movies. "We might find some stars there," says Noor.

Though very young, movies are not all they have on their mind. An hour in their company and one can feel that almost every little member of the delegation is equally aware about the serious issues around him or her.The bitter reality of the two countries plays on their minds as well. "With our play Border, Border we will tell adults about peace," says 9-year-old Noor. The play to be staged on June 16 will show two families on two sides of the Indo-Pak border. According to Gauhar, "the play starts from the point of acceptance that India and Pakistan are two different entities and if we're to live in peaceful co-existence, follow the European example where all the countries share a lot and preserve their separate identities too."

Maybe, that's why its the similarities between the two countries that they find intriguing. "Chandigarh is just like Islamabad, there also we have sectors and also a Lake," says a member of the group excitedly. For them, its surprising that India and the people resemble their country, "everything looks similar here."

Interestingly, the girls make observations on the freedom women enjoy in India.

Women two-wheeler riders on Indian roads make for a most pleasant sight for them. Girls have so much freedom here. "Girls don't drive bikes in Pakistan and if they do everybody stares at them, even ladies stare at such girls," says Bakht and the whole group nods in agreement. Not one to be left behind, seven-year-old Taimur adds, I was F.A.S.C.I.N.A.T.E.D by so many women riding bikes in India! Their love for western outfits is also something the girls couldn't stop talking about, everybody freely wears jeans here, observe Ayesha and Zainab, the older girls.

http://www.timesofindia.com/090601/09mchd2.htm

ooooooooo Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ # 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com ooooo