Rob Schaap on Foucault

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Mon Jun 11 05:18:28 PDT 2001

>I was wondering what Rob's take is on Justin's approach to
>Foucault, that of separating out the Foucault who was a sociologist
>of knowledge (who Justin admires greatly) from the Foucault
>who was a pomo philosopher (for whom Justin has much less
>admiration)?
>
>Jim F.

G'day Jim,

Yeah, just read that, but wasn't gonna post until tomorrow for obvious reasons. Anyway, if the fact that I certainly remember liking D&P and HoS more than Archeology, Order and a lot of those circular knowledge/power conversations and lectures (most of which left me empty and certainly unconvinced I'd learned anything) indicates anything of the sort, then Justin affords me a chance to get out of this without offending further.

I do feel obliged to aver that there is a very important distinction to be made between Weber and Marx, mind, but it is only when the Nietzche siren goes off in my head that I lose my convivial nature.

Anyway, sorry for the overposting, and sorry if my passionate indignation burned too many kbs to too little constructive effect. I'll discipline myself now, ere I am regulated from without.

Cheers, Rob.