global warming: case not closed, sez NAS guy

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Tue Jun 12 00:43:08 PDT 2001

Ian Murray fwd on global warming:

...."If something doesn't happen, we're done," said Dr. Pieter P. Tans, chief scientist at the climate monitoring and diagnostics laboratory of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Boulder, Colo., which takes the carbon dioxide measurements...

--------

While this has nothing to do with substance, maybe Linux fans will be happy to hear that NOAA has:

``...Designed and built entirely using the Linux operating system, JET will be running weather models over the next two years at a rate of 2 to 4 Teraflops. Officials have claimed that FSL is the first government laboratory to use Linux in a supercomputer....''

(http://www.LinuxMall.com/news/?1,80)

Meanwhile LBL relocated their super computing facility to downtown Oakland on 20th and Broadway. No mention of Linux based clusters--it sounds like its all Crays. But not to worry. Its powered on the BART electricity grid and run by our favorite Bush official, the Secretary of Energy, oh, what's his name, you know the fat guy, Mister Get-Used-To-Blackouts.

(http://eastbay.bcentral.com/eastbay/stories/2001/05/28/story1.html)

Chuck Grimes