Fwd: Welcome to the land of the politically correct

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 12 04:18:36 PDT 2001

>From: DavidMcR at aol.com
>Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:38:56 EDT
>Subject: Welcome to the land of the politically correct
>To: cbcox at ilstu.edu
>Cc: dhenwood at panix.com
>
>Dear Carrol,
>
>Since you and I are the same age, I won't ask what your excuse is for a
>retreat into political correctness. I had hoped it was an affectation of the
>young. If you don't think there are cultural differences among groups then we
>live on different planets. One of my first experiences in "cultural
>differences" involved the English, whom I found almost totally unable to
>organize anything. They would waffle about for an entire evening and then
>would decide to form a committee, when almost any American would have gotten
>things sorted out quite quickly, including a draft leaflet, a passing of the
>hat, and a phone tree.

British leftists appear to me to be better organized than American ones. American leftists are in fact among the most disorganized & decentralized in the world, with little to show for all the leaflets, phone trees, etc. There is no political party on the Left to speak of in the USA, not even a social democratic one. American leftists are in a position to lecture neither British nor Palestinian leftists. If American leftists were so well organized, they would be able to stop the US aid to Israel, Plan Colombia, etc.

Yoshie