Fwd: Welcome to the land of the politically correct

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 11 21:37:24 PDT 2001

X-From_: DavidMcR at aol.com Mon Jun 11 22:39:02 2001 From: DavidMcR at aol.com Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:38:56 EDT Subject: Welcome to the land of the politically correct To: cbcox at ilstu.edu Cc: dhenwood at panix.com MIME-Version: 1.0

Dear Carrol,

Since you and I are the same age, I won't ask what your excuse is for a retreat into political correctness. I had hoped it was an affectation of the young. If you don't think there are cultural differences among groups then we live on different planets. One of my first experiences in "cultural differences" involved the English, whom I found almost totally unable to organize anything. They would waffle about for an entire evening and then would decide to form a committee, when almost any American would have gotten things sorted out quite quickly, including a draft leaflet, a passing of the hat, and a phone tree.

Now, there is much to be said for not moving too fast. But it is hardly racist to suggest the Israelis and Palestinians operate in different ways from different cultures, or that English and Americans are divided by a common language (and usually not even so common).

At no point did I raise the question of racial differences - those two words are yours, not mine. And if millions would agree with you that discussing cultural differences is racist, then I'm sorry so many are wrong, but at least you have company in your own error.

Fraternally, David McReynolds

I'm sending a cc of this (blind) to a much younger man who has asked me to sum up the Middle East history in fifteen sentences. I want him to see the difficulties of that effort! (Though I'll try)

<< Subj: Re: McReynolds and Palestine,was Should Peace Movements CriticizeTerrorism...