Fwd: Re: McReynolds and Palestine, was Should Peace Movements CriticizeTerrorism...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 11 21:36:56 PDT 2001

X-From_: DavidMcR at aol.com Mon Jun 11 21:57:56 2001 From: DavidMcR at aol.com Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:57:48 EDT Subject: Re: McReynolds and Palestine, was Should Peace Movements CriticizeTerrorism... To: dhenwood at panix.com Cc: cbcox at ilstu.edu MIME-Version: 1.0

Sorry but a discussion of cultural differences is not the same thing as racism. The Israelis have been remarkably adept at assassination, selective, and effective. They could have taken Arafat out anytime they wanted to.

But when, back in 1987 or so (the exact year not written in my memory bank) I was on a PLO "Ship of Return" project, which was to bring a ship to Athens, at which point a load of us - in my case the modest title as Chair of War Resisters International, but others included members of Bishops, members of Parliament, courageous young Jews, etc. - were to board the ship, and sail to the coast of Israel, duplicating the original Zionist ships, I got a good luck at how the PLO operates.

When they had a hard time getting a ship, aside from not dealing squarely with us, they substituted a couple of rallies with speeches and we sat in Athens for days. I was grateful to see Athens - I would probably have never seen it otherwise. But if the organizers had been Israelis they would have done what I would have done - break our groups down into discussions groups, teach-ins, contact groups, etc., a thousand routine, but concrete organizational things.

In the end, while the PLO dithered and talked, Mossad sent agents to the docks where the rented ship was waiting to leave for Athens, killed two or three of the PLO folks guarding it, and blew a hole in the ship.

That is what I mean by a cultural difference. One can talk with those involved in support work for the Palestinian people and find deep hostility to the crowd around Arafat (and I'm not talking about the Hamas group).

To compare the final futile but heroic armed uprising in Warsaw against armed Nazi troops with the blowing up of kids at a dance in Israel, someone is blind and perhaps it is me. If so perhaps blindness of this kind is a blessing.

If Carrol is a decade or two older than me, he is bordering on senility, or so I judge from this post. I would not have written Waskow's statement precisely as he wrote it. But it seemed then and now important to speak out against terrorism - which is clearly where we differ. In the past I have been on pretty lonely ground in the US in pointing out that Israeli air strikes are terrorist.

Fraternally, David

<< Subj: Fwd: McReynolds and Palestine, was Should Peace Movements CriticizeTerrorism?/socialfascist?