Overposting

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Thu Jun 14 07:51:49 PDT 2001

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, jean-christophe helary wrote:
> magic number that means 'not more than you deem necessary'. but the
> machine that counts your posts does not understand necessity. a proof

Perhaps you could arrange for a necessity discount from panix?

I'm being a tad snarky, but this list does cost money and Doug pays for it out of his own pocket. A token amount per message turns into a substantial chunk of change once you have a large subscriber base and a high volume.

This list is a very popular institution, make no mistake. The list generates better than 2000 messages a month and the archive (which I host - better arrange for a necessity discount from @Home, too) averages about 250 000 hits a month. That's a lot of traffic.

> jc helary (better idea: let's have it like the bosses in france, don't
> count activity by day but by month or year !!! 90 posts a month max or
> 1000 something a year)

That's not really a good idea, I think. The only reason this list is readable is because 99% of the subscribers don't use up their 3 post a day soft limit. If you wish to extend credit across a month, then you're just encouraging people to post more often.

If you wanted to improve the list's quality and readability, you'd encourage people to post a little bit less and reduce their signal to noise rather than encouraging a free for all. As it is, the soft limit does a pretty good job of reminding people to pick and choose.

Regards,

Marco