coerced treatment

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Fri Jun 15 09:32:40 PDT 2001

I also do some work part-time for a home-care agency under what, in New York State is called the Lombardy Program. It offers, under Medicaid, up to 42 hours weekly home health aide service with a more frequent RN service than other home attendant programs. It's good for people who can get up and walk, but who need help with shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. A lot of elderly diabetics use this because they need a lot of nursing observation. Diabetes is not, of course, a disease exclusively of poor people, but it tends to affect people whose diet approximates the one many low-income people are reduced to a lot of the time. (Partly also, a cultural issue of diet and not a purely material one.). This is a good example of sound home care, introduced mostly to make it possible for the large number of people with certain kinds of medical issues to avoid going into nursing homes. Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema