coerced treatment

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 14 23:55:15 PDT 2001

> > >Segregation is the historical reality for disabled persons, and not
>> >coincidentally the proliferation of institutions coincides with the
>> >rise of capitalism.
>> >Marta
>>
>> That makes sense, but in that case, our argument would be _for_ home
>> care necessary for assisted living, directly or indirectly provided
>> by the state, & improvement of it for both disabled persons &
>> care-giving workers. Clarifying what disabled persons & care-giving
>> workers need helps us better than a broad-brush criticism of the
>> medical profession tout court.
>>
>> Yoshie
>========
>Ah, but we've just displaced the coercion; for we are saying that some
>'home' must assume responsibility/liability for the care of disabled
>citizens and this becomes problematic if said citizens are nonetheless
>capable of exercising their liberty to refuse treatment and shelter.
>
>Ian

By home care I don't mean that the disabled will be taken care of by their family members. Most likely, many adult disabled individuals desire to live independently -- alone or with friends or with partners -- of their family members, just as many adult non-disabled individuals do so.

If you have an alternative in your mind, you might tell us.

Yoshie