academic economics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 19 13:24:51 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

> [...]

I don't think UIC has much in the way of rich donors or an endowment. I was told that UIC doesn't have the riches to supplement state salaries with private funds, which better-off state unis like UVa do.

Back in 1978 or 1979, a friend of mine who preceded me in dropping out of the UVa English dept went to work for the local paper, the awful Daily Progress. He filed a FOIA request for all professorial salaries, and they published it as a supplement one day. There were huge variations - between medicine and English, of course, but also within dept's there were discrepancies at the same rank and experience of $15,000, which was a lot 23 years ago, thanks to supplementary private funds. Do other state unis do this?

Doug