academic economics

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 19 13:53:35 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Na
>
> I don't think UIC has much in the way of rich donors or an endowment.
> I was told that UIC doesn't have the riches to supplement state
> salaries with private funds, which better-off state unis like UVa do.

All public salaries in Illinois are a matter of public record. It's been years since I looked any up, so I don't remember the place of publication. It may be the State Budget, or a document related to it.

Re endowments. I don't know what are the rankings now, but 50 years ago only two state institutions had endowment funds that could even be mentioned in the same breath with private u. endowments, University of Texas and University of Michigan (the latter from law and automobiles I believe). Perhaps Charles could comment on the present situation there. Who funds U. of Va endowments?

Carrol