academic economics

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Jun 19 13:54:06 PDT 2001

>Since the money for these hires are no doubt being made with funds from
rich
>donors - who are no doubt putting their names on buildings and endowed
>fellowships- how can you separate "economic sense" from vanity in such a
>situation. Intellectual prestige is all about vanity.

-I don't think UIC has much in the way of rich donors or an endowment. -I was told that UIC doesn't have the riches to supplement state -salaries with private funds, which better-off state unis like UVa do.

I read the Fish profile in the NEW YORKER and they indicated he was doing a massive fundraising drive among rich donors for his hiring spree. Maybe that's a front to reassure state funders but one reason UIC apparently hired Fish was for his private fundraising skills.

- Nathan