moynihan on ss woes

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Tue Jun 19 18:34:31 PDT 2001

Thank you for a very clear explanation.

les

<< Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:12:39 -0400

From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>

Subject: RE: moyhnihan on social security woes

"and what is the Most Powerful Force in the Land? and why do/es i/t/he/y

want surpluses? les"

I pose this question on PEN-L about once a year to see if anyone comes up

with anything new. Don't usually get much reaction.

About 8 yrs ago I wrote a piece on this and my own reasons still seem valid:

surpluses are deflationary; deflation is desirable because it slows down

economic growth. Slower growth means looser labor markets (less upward wage

pressure). Deflation also is good for bond-holders. The bond market is

much bigger than the stock market. >>