RES: What is 'Neo-Liberalism'

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Fri Jun 22 16:42:10 PDT 2001

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de Brad DeLong Enviada em: sexta-feira, 22 de junho de 2001 11:42 Para: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Assunto: Re: What is 'Neo-Liberalism'

Isn't it time to admit that Chile's *economic* development strategy over the past thirty years has been, broadly, a success? Chilean per capita GDP has doubled since 1980--and increases in inequality have been modest...

-You´re 50% right. Chilean ranks 2nd in inequality among South American -countries (just wonder who is 1st....). Inequality didn´t improve -after 1988 (despite this poverty has decreased due to high growth -rates). According to the WB database, Chile has an horrendous Ginni -index (57,5!!!!!!). Look at the data at: http://www.worldbank.org/data/wdi2001/pdfs/tab2_8.pdf -As you consider inequalities between top and bottom 10%, they reach a -staggering 30:1. Chile is almost as unequal as Brazil. This country -depends on a very high growth rate to keep the poorest population -under control. Chile lacks a social security net (unlike Brazil, -which has a precarious one, including nationwide free medical care -of mediocre quality, and a public pension system), and it can led -to social disruption in the event of a recession. Already Chile has -an unemployment rate near 10%, and the fantastic 7-10% growth rates -of the early 90´s and late 80´s are past thing. As you look at une- -quality changes, Ginni index went from 45 to 57 in 27 years after -the coup (on the other side, serial data is scarce and goes only -to 1987-household based). This index of 57,5 has not it historical -control, and maybe I´m using data collected with different methods. -Anyway, a 10 points or larger increase in the index is a reasonable -estimate. -http://www.wider.unu.edu/wiid/wwwwiid.htm

And isn't it time to admit that NAFTA did not significantly decrease wages in the United States?

-But it decreased wages in Mexico, at least from informations I have -in Brazilian press. Correct me if I´m wrong.

-And take a look at this excellent site. Interesting to see that a -institution whose policies usually increase unequality has so much -good data on unequality and poverty...... http://www.worldbank.org/poverty/inequal/index.htm

Alexandre Fenelon