academic economics

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jun 21 15:47:56 PDT 2001

>The State (Columbia): Thursday, June 21, 2001
>Clemson in-state tuition to jump 41.8 percent
>By KEN KNELLY
>Staff Writer
>

>Clemson University trustees approved Wednesday a tuition increase
>unlikely to be topped by any other college in the state (--) 41.8
>percent, or $1,500 more per year for in-state undergraduates.
>
>The increase will take effect this fall to offset what Clemson
>trustees and administrators said was a $14.3 million loss of state
>financing, and to provide revenue to boost Clemson into the ranks of
>the nation's top 20 public institutions.

So tuition is going from $3,600 to $5,100 a year?

Dropping into the EPI datazone for a moment, the current college wage premium is 45%. Clemson University graduates are likely to be richer over their lifetimes than the average American.

Public subsidies to higher education students are a pie-growing policy--one that I believe in--but they are also a blow for a less egalitarian society. I've never figured out why the odd coalition that supports them does so...

Brad DeLong