academic economics

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 21 17:07:36 PDT 2001

>>The State (Columbia): Thursday, June 21, 2001
>>Clemson in-state tuition to jump 41.8 percent
>>By KEN KNELLY
>>Staff Writer
>>
>>Clemson University trustees approved Wednesday a tuition increase
>>unlikely to be topped by any other college in the state (--) 41.8
>>percent, or $1,500 more per year for in-state undergraduates.
>>
>>The increase will take effect this fall to offset what Clemson
>>trustees and administrators said was a $14.3 million loss of state
>>financing, and to provide revenue to boost Clemson into the ranks of
>>the nation's top 20 public institutions.
>
>So tuition is going from $3,600 to $5,100 a year?
>
>Dropping into the EPI datazone for a moment, the current college
>wage premium is 45%. Clemson University graduates are likely to be
>richer over their lifetimes than the average American.
>
>Public subsidies to higher education students are a pie-growing
>policy--one that I believe in--but they are also a blow for a less
>egalitarian society. I've never figured out why the odd coalition
>that supports them does so...
>
>Brad DeLong

1. During the same period when state funding for higher education (as a proportion of college/university revenues) went down, the college wage premium went up. So, it seems public subsidies to higher education aren't a blow for a less egalitarian society.

2. How much does each taxpayer pay for higher education?

Yoshie