academic economics

Gregory Geboski ggeboski at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 24 10:55:32 PDT 2001

Gordon Fitch wrote:

<< Since the educational system reproduces the class system, then the more people become involved in it, the more the class system will be strengthened. >>

Huh? I guess the Left has always been all wrong for wanting free universal education, seeing how we're doing nothing but helping the bosses.

Sure, the educational system in a class society will reproduce those classes, all in all. As will, all in all, every institution in a class society. That's pretty much true by definition. But does that mean we settle for no or reduced education for the working class under the existing system--until the Revolution, I guess?

The post-war expansion of higher education in the US, especially the expansion of state university systems, was, despite its flaws, a move for democratization, and a potential threat to the ruling class. This was recognized by the Right, at least, who have been steadily moving to make higher education available only to those who "deserve" (i.e., can pay) for it.

----Original Message Follows---- From: Gordon Fitch <gcf at panix.com> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: academic economics Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 10:59:42 -0400

Brad DeLong wrote:

> > Public subsidies to higher education students are a pie-growing

> > policy--one that I believe in--but they are also a blow for a less

> > egalitarian society.

Michael Pollak:

> I'm not quite sure I follow your reasoning here. If the average price of

> higher education is lowered by subsidies, then the percentage of people

> getting one should go up. Cet par, increasing the supply of such people

> should lower the income premium to education and thus diminish wage

> inequality. No?

Since the educational system reproduces the class system, then the more people become involved in it, the more the class system will be strengthened. In practical terms, one may observe (for instance) educational credentials and the invidious comparison thereof becoming more and more involved in employment status decisions even where they are functionally irrelevant.