China Fascism weeds out the "unfit" from higher education

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Jun 25 10:46:50 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Kromm" <ckromm at mindspring.com>
> Appalling for sure, but as Marta could tell you, the ideological
> roots of eugenics are complicated, with earlier leftists guilty, not
> to mention Progressive Era reformers.
>
> Doug

-Which doesn't make eugenics any less fascist -- it merely points up the more -totalitarian aspects of Margaret Sanger and other birth control advocates, -rather than any sort of progressive character of sterilization, no? Few -people realize the insidiously racist nature of the eugenics/birth control -movement, right through the Population Council into the 1970s -- and in a -more subtle way, today. Many good books and articles on this; Allan Chase's -"The Legacy of Malthus" is probably most accessible.

I used to do telephone fundraising at an outfit that raised funds for Planned Parenthood. There was a section (a minority admittedly) of members who when you called would suddenly go off on what we should be doing to stop all those "people" in the inner-city from having so many kids, how terrible it was that good regular folks had so few kids compared to "them."

Very disturbing calls.

-- Nathan Newman