China Fascism weeds out the "unfit" from higher education

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Sun Jun 24 14:26:33 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>

>The report is appalling, but one should avoid misusing terms. The Chinese
>dictatorship is not fascist. It lacks the domination of capital--capital is
>rising but stringly subordinated, the authoritarian populism, the military
>aggressiveness, the public commitment to racial superiority, the
>antomodernist blood-and-oil ideology and antirationalism, and many other
>attributes of either classical or neo-fascism--the latter being typical of
>the Latin america of the 1970s, say. We have to apprehend the specifity of
>the Chinese regime on its own terms. --jks

Specificity is fine but the avoidance of the term "fascism" to China seems odd given how flexibly the term has been used to other regimes. Capital was in many ways subordinated (if privileged) under both German and Italian fascism and given the capital ownership stakes of both individual and party divisions - an issue some of the more traditional Maoists have complained of - I'm not sure where you would find the distinction.

As for military aggressiveness, I would think that the domination of Tibet, the threats to Taiwan, and other military stances are hardly non-aggressive. And the point of the article was to note the eugenic commitment to racial improvement. It may lack some of the more antirationalist elements of Nazism but a number of other readily-designated fascist regimes were much more on the rationalist mode.

During the PNTR debate on China trade, condemnation of China's human rights record was denounced as imperialist- I didn't see a lot of rallying for discussing the "specificity" of the US-China relationship at that point. Of course, China is a complex country and has both positive and negative forces in operation, but then so did many fascist regimes- heck, fascist Spain was far more helpful to those fleeing the Holocaust than most of the democratic countries.

As for Yoshie's post on China's humane treatment of the disabled, it still reinforces the eugenics thrust of policy: Note:

"The Maternal and Child Health Care Law forbids the marriage of persons with certain specified contagious diseases or certain acute mental illnesses such as schizophrenia. If doctors find that a couple is at risk of transmitting disabling congenital defects to their children, the couple may marry only if they agree to use birth control or undergo sterilization."

Yes, the Chinese government will let the disabled live out their lives - uneducated and without children - but to terminate their genetic line with their deaths.

My argument is not that in any standoff between the US and China, the Chinese will be in the wrong, but that - in many ways like the US - it is dominated by bad capitalist interests with the extra spin of authoritarian tendencies. Yes, there are internal complexities to the policies China promotes which need to be evaluated for which class interests may have pushed their adoption, but then I argue for the same in looking at United States government policy.

The US-China trade deal for instance was pushed by the authoritarian capitalist interests in both countries, yet many leftists were all too ready to denounce any opposition as imperialistic because of a knee-jerk defense of China's "anti-imperialist" position.

There needs to be a reevaluation by a number of sectors of the Left on the complexities of regime actions, both by the United States and by China, reflecting the diversity of forces operating within and effecting policy in each.

-- Nathan Newman