ATTAC newsletter: After Gothenburg

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Wed Jun 27 03:48:31 PDT 2001

The latest ATTAC newsletter discusses the events and tactics used in Gothenburg. From the introduction: "1- After the events at Gothenburg We printed one wrong fact last week: the demonstrator was not shot in the back but from the front. All around Europe discussions have tried to explain the facts, to evaluate consequences. All around Europe actions when demonstrating are viewed as peaceful, especially for Genoa. However there are differences on analyzing the events, and drawing conclusions from them. Non-violence is not quite the issue, since we want it to reinforce our messages and our calls, but the police reactions and legal violence, is. Here is the declaration made by ATTAC France concerning Gothenburg. 2- I was at Gothenburg Here is Susan George's point of view concerning Gothenburg. In fact it was published in French at the same time as Christophe Aguiton's piece published in English last week. The two points of view started a very useful and interesting week with exchanges of views by readers of the French newsletter. Like it was explained there is no two different views on violence: every one is favoring non violence, but there is a variety of differences on perceiving the events. 3- The violence at Gothenburg and Barcelona The problem of violence is central since Genoa is approaching and we all want to make it a full success with 100 000 peaceful demonstrators in the streets of the Italian city. This is why the views expressed here are important, although personal."

Complete text: http://www.attac.org/attacinfoen/attacnews87.pdf