The Politics of Disability Movements II

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Jun 27 21:03:58 PDT 2001

> Anyway give me a reading list or refer me to one, if you can. Thanks.
>
> Chuck Grimes

Here are the main ones for the U.S.:

Charlton, James I., Nothing About Us Without Us: Disability Oppression and Empowerment, University of California Press, 1998

Pfeiffer, David, ‘Overview of the Disability Movement: History, Legislative Record, and Political Implications’, Policy Studies Journal, Vol. 21(4), 1993.

Longmore, Paul K & Umansky, Lauri (eds), The New Disability History: American Perspectives (New York University Press, 2000).

Fagan and P. Lee, ‘“New” Social Movements and Social Policy: A Case Study of the Disability Movement’, in M. Lavalette and A. Pratt, eds., Social Policy: A Conceptual and Theoretical Introduction, Sage Publications, 1997, pp.140-160

Pelka, Fred, ABC Clio Companion to the Disability Rights Movement, 1997.

Russell, Marta, Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract, 1998.

Shapiro, Joseph, No Pity: People with Disabilities Forging a New Civil Rights Movement, New York: Random House

Also Disability Studies Quarterly is a good resource at

http://www.cds.hawaii.edu

best, Marta --