Defining Fascism

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Jun 29 13:09:52 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: <Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca>

>I don't know enough about China to say with
>"certainty," but the initial post that started this thread seemed to remind
>me more of bourgeois-minded economics: all these people who are being
>refused entry to the university because of various handicaps would have
cost
>the university a lot more money supporting them than it would have gotten
>out of them. Same sort of logic goes for the organ-harvesting of executed
>criminals: make money by saving or by selling to the Nth degree. Again,
>not so much fascist as (even more) authoritarian-type
>parsimonious-capitalist government.

Now, finally, an actual substantive response to the original post, rather than one quibbling about definitions or explaining it away with reference to the sins of other country.

It may be true that China's response is actually more in line with neo-liberalism logic than fascist hatred - reinforcing the point Yoshie made about China's formal commitment to the needs of the disabled.

If this is the face of 21st century authoritarian neoliberalism, the interesting question is whether we may end up looking fondly back on the human values of 20th century fascism.

-- Nathan Newman