Tibet

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Sat Jun 30 07:03:20 PDT 2001

I know similarly diddly about Tibet, but my encounters with the misty-eyed Tibet enthusiasts I've met leave me with a strong suspicion of them as a particularly typical American irrationalist phenomenon. They seem to know hardly more about Tibet than I do, but for them it seems to be the land of transcendence, simple, pure, etc. The reviews of Orville Schell's book seemed to support this impression as I recall.

This goes back a long way. That sappy TV movie Marco Polo had a scene where Phagspa, a Tibetan monk at the imperial court of Peking who, at first, was deeply suspicious of Marco P, said worriedly that he was going back to experience the "purity" of Tibet. And the sun shone gently off his ascetically shaven pate. Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema