Tibet

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 30 08:20:25 PDT 2001

A book on Tibet written by an English couple who travelled there in the 1960s, entitled if my memory is correct, _The Timely Rain_ -- I can't remember the authors & can't find the book on my shelves just now. Probably a Monthly Review Press book. In general, probably the best thing that every happened to the peasantry of Tibet was the Dalai's abortive revoltin 1955, because that forced the Chinese to finally move to take real control, ending a thousand years of what must have been one of the more ruthless theocracies in world history. I imagine current Chinese rule is pretty nasty, but it couldn't not be a great improvement over the rule of the monks. The book includes color photographs of butter statuary -- tons of butter and absolutely gorgeous. The society, like the sculptures, stank to high heaven.

Carrol